All About Us
A stay at the House of Agnes is a unique experience and is all about personal choice, for this reason we encourage you to book via our own website or contact us by phone or email in order to arrange the most suitable accommodation for your visit.
It is important to point out that although we adore them, we do not accommodate guests under the age of 6 years old.
Should you choose one of the modern stable rooms you will have the benefit of overlooking our superb garden and also having full use of the guest areas in the main house, including the comfy lounges, the popular ‘honesty bar’ and free DVD library. All breakfasts are served in the historic wood-panelled Quadrant room.
Below are a few pointers to help you decide if the House of Agnes is a suitable choice for you when staying in Canterbury:
Which room should I choose?
Here’s a general guide:
- Front facing: Paris, Mumbai, Shanghai, Tokyo, Canterbury
- Garden facing: Boston, Marrakesh, Venice and all stable rooms
- With baths: Venice (spa), Stable A (spa),Tokyo (shower/bath combo), Paris (roll-top bath and separate shower)
- With air conditioning: Paris, Mumbai, Shanghai, Tokyo and Canterbury- all other main house rooms have fans.
- Bed sizes: Venice (160cm) , Boston (180cm), Tokyo (160cm), Marrakesh and Paris (150cm), Canterbury 4-poster, Mumbai and Shanghai (137cm), Stable B, D and E (180cm), Stable A, C, F, G, H (150cm). When stable B,D and E are made up with twin beds they each measure 90cms.
- The Mumbai and Shanghai rooms are our smallest double rooms and although they have the same facilities as the others they are what one would call ‘snug’; perfect for a couple staying one or two nights and ideal for single occupancy but might be a bit on the small side for a couple staying longer.
- The Tokyo room can accommodate up to three people as it contains a day bed that can be made up as a single bed. There is a supplement of £15 per night for this option and a £5.00 supplement per night when this room is used as a twin room.
- Marrakesh suite consists of two rooms, each with a shower room. There is a supplement of £15-20 for a third person and a £5.00 supplement per night when this room is used as a twin room. There is a private balcony and exterior staircase.
What does ‘Flexible’ mean?
Some stable rooms have custom-made ‘zip and link’ beds; these KING-SIZE beds can be made into twin beds if required. There is also an option to interconnect the adjacent room, thus providing a spacious family room with two twins and a double bed. (children 6 yrs or older only)
On the website you would need to book stable room A (double bed) with stable room B (twin), or stable room C (double bed) with stable room D (twin).
Mattresses and Bedding
Our beds have the highest quality mattresses and most are memory-foam.
All mattresses have comfortable cotton mattress protectors
Duvets are 10.5 tog down/feather and you will find two down/feather pillows on your bed as well as two synthetic. Let us know in advance if you require synthetic bedding only.
In warmer months we generally replace 10.5 tog duvets with lightweight 4 tog summer duvets.
Your room rate includes breakfast which comprises a selection of cereals, yoghurts, freshly made fruit salad, thick crusty toast with preserves and a freshly cooked Kentish breakfast using local products such as homemade sausages and free range farm eggs.We offer quality rather than quantity, but you definitely wont start the day hungry (except of your own accord!) We serve pastries, croissants or muffins and a 'Daily Special' which could be 'scrambled eggs with salmon' or a similar delicious option.
We provide gluten-free cereals and bread as well as lactose-free, non-dairy products.Vegetarians are well-catered for.
07.30 – 09.30 Monday to Friday08.30 – 10.15 Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays
For early departures we will prepare a Breakfast Bag which is packed full of delicious items : ~freshly made tropical fruit salad ~ Bagel with ham (directly from our specialist butcher) or cream cheese ~ blueberry muffin or pastry of the day ~ fruit or soy yoghurt and real fruit juice. Please let us know by 16.00 the day before departure if you require this option
Reservations of five or more rooms are considered GROUP BOOKINGS and cannot be processed via our ONLINE reservation facility nor via any third party website (such as Booking.com etc). For all GROUP enquiries please contact Sandie on 01227 472185 or email: email@example.com. Special Terms and Conditions apply
Cancellation policy/ Terms & Conditions
Please see 'Cancellation Policy' and 'Terms & Conditions' sections located in the bottom menu at the base of the page
We welcome children six years of age and older.
Check-in and Check-out Times
Your room will be ready by 14.00 at the latest; if you arrive earlier and your room is not ready for you to check in we will look after you, your bags and your car, but we ask that you please register first.
Check-out is at 11.00. Car parking is limited but on occasions we can permit cars to remain on the premises until midday. Just ask for an update when you check out.
We have 12 free off-road parking spaces which is generally sufficient but we can only permit one vehicle per room. Vehicles exceeding 210 cms in width and 200 cms in height will NOT fit through the ancient driveway, however you can purchase Canterbury City parking vouchers at reception for the nearby car parks at a reduced rate of £6.00 for 24hrs.
You will save money when booking 3 nights or more throughout the year (excluding Saturdays and some bank holidays)
Bargains can be had during off peak periods November, December, January and February with rates being up to 20% lower than peak rates, these are automatically published on our own website http://www.houseofagnes.co.uk/book-now/
We are located in the heart of Canterbury, close to Canterbury West station and directly on St Dunstan's Street. Some noise is inevitable but everything is done to reduce it to an absolute minimum: secondary glazing AND high density insulated walls are in all main house rooms.
The Stable Mews are not far from a railway line but have been constructed above and beyond the HIGHEST specifications for noise and insulation. Additionally, there are two layers of sound-proof fencing behind the building. Trains do not run late at night nor early in the morning but - just in case, earplugs are in all rooms... mostly because of snoring partners!
We speak Francais, Espagnol, Deutsch.